Sunday 5 May 2013

Nike Airs and Popping Pills

So on Tuesday I completed my final shoot for my 90s project, super sad I know! I know this shoot was going to be the hardest to create as I wanted to make it seem as realistic as possible as I felt it was important to keep some aspects of it serious yet still try and recreate the 'fun' and 'carefree' feelings expressed at the time. I decided to shoot my images at Wonderland Maidstone on their 90s themed night as I wanted to use an environment most suitable for my projects. Plus I also wanted to use bright coloured lights as a main effect in some of my images.
The styling of my model was very important in this shoot as I obviously needed to incorporate my crop-top but I wanted to ensure my model was styled in clothes of which someone going to a rave or a club in the 90s would wear. I chose to put her hair up in a high side pony tail, as the sporty 'no fuss' look was very much key to the era. With her make up I didn't go to heavy as rave make-up was fairly bland until it came to eye shadow, for this I used a dusty purple. I then styled my model in silver and blue air max trainers, black fish net tights, leather hot pants, my own crop-top, a pink and blue shell suit jacket and numerous gold and silver chains. Once ready and styled we made our way to the club. First of all I took some stationary images of my model, as I wanted to make sure I had some classic fashion photography shots, where my crop-top was clear to see. After getting a tad bored of getting my model to just stand and pose I decided I wanted to experiment with some movement. For this I literally just got my model to stand under the lights on the dance floor, and dance about using cringey 90s dance moves!    There goes another friendship! 
I made my shutter speed on my camera a lot slower in order to capture the light and movement in a way in which I believe people who were taking drugs at the time might see things. I wanted the images to look slightly surreal and imperfect, hence the blurs and smudges. I'm very pleased with how my images turned out baring in mind they were very experimental. I think if I were to re-shoot my images I would try different locations as although mine was appropriate as it was 'fashion' photography I feel it would of been cool to look at it in a more documentary style!  

No comments:

Post a Comment