Tuesday 23 April 2013

A Hell of a Lot of Backcombing and Pink Hairspray

Yesterday I created my troll doll inspired photo shoot! And I have to say it was the funnest shoot by far. I had a very clear vision in my head of how I wanted my model to look, and that was, exactly like a troll doll, therefore a lot of backcombing and hair spraying was in order! I started by doing my models make up. I wanted to give her a doll like appearance with a slight twist, so I did her base make-up as normal but drew on little corner eyelashes to give her that almost 'cartoon' look. On her lips I used a pale orange lipstick from Topshop, as I wanted a colour that contrasted well with her hair colour, which I planned to make pink! 
When finishing her make-up I moved on to the most exciting part... the hair! So when doing my models hair I pretty much sacrificed our friendship as using the term 'backcombing' probably isn't strong enough. I 'backcombed' all of my poor models hair, and pinned random sections to give it that extra lift, when I was happy with the height and volume I hair sprayed it (like glue) and then I started to spray it baby pink! Although my model didn't look best pleased, I was having a great time! I then styled my 
 model in powder blue vans, shiny blue disco pants and my troll doll inspired crop-top. Then to finish off the look I added an oversized pink bow to her hair, in order to give it that extra 'cute' troll doll feel. For the shoot its self I picked a couple of walls outside my college that had been painted in a way to look like graffiti. I felt this to be the perfect setting for my shoot as it was child like and fun, and super 90s! I also liked the mixture of colours used, making it appear even more tacky and garish! I got my model to pose in a number of different poses and positions. I asked her to make herself look ridged and 'doll like' to ensure I capture the true troll persona. I also made sure she look slightly clueless and dumbstruck as I also felt this fitted the brief. Looking back on  my images I am very pleased with the results, as they a pretty much how I imagined them to look. Now its just going to take a lot of being extra nice to my model and a hell of a lot of brushing, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment