Friday 12 April 2013

And I Swear That I Don't Have A Gun

I have decided its time to stop blinkering myself with neon colours, cringey girl bands and fanatical 90s fun. I have decided its time to look into the darker side to the 90s. I feel since doing my project I have only been focused on the typical '90s' style that is tacky, bright and OTT and it was about time I looked into something more laid back, effortless and a style that was just as important; Grunge! Grunge has always been a style that has fascinated me, the idea of putting effort in to look scruffy and almost bad is something I find extremely weird and wonderful. When looking into grunge in the 90s, with no surprise , grunge legends Nirvana made quite a few appearances. After becoming slightly obsessed again with Nirvana I decided I had to make a crop top inspired by them to contrast my super tacky Spice Girls one!
  Using the two iconic Nirvana colours, black and yellow, and tie-dyed the tee to give it that second hand, scruffy, laid back appearance. I then waited for it to dry, and luckily the colours came out a lot darker and dingier than I thought, giving it a realistic grungey feel. However I felt more needed to be added to make it unique and totally Nirvana. With thoughts of ripping it or studded it I finally came up with the idea to sew Nirvana lyrics into it!
Having the reference to the band I felt made it so much more realistic, also the way in which the writing was scruffy and hard to make out also made a connection back to the style of grunge its self. Now to pick my grungiest friend for the photo shoot... 

No comments:

Post a Comment